You will see from my gallery that I am interested in many different types of photography such as landscape, wildlife and action. I do occasionally take portraits and have even been known to photograph the odd wedding; but I am not an indoor studio-based photographer, nor a wedding photographer. My studio is outdoors and my main passion is for coastal photography (seascapes).
My first SLR camera was given to me by my father in 1981 when he upgraded. It was a fully-manual SLR with a separate hand-held light meter so I quickly had to get to grips with the basics of photography. In 1984 I upgraded to a more modern SLR with built-in metering and the automatic and semi-automatic modes that are now commonplace on modern SLRs. After using a digital bridge camera for a number of years and getting increasingly frustrated with its limitations, I bought my first digital SLR in 2011 and never looked back.
I grew up in a seaside town in Sussex and during those years I would spend many hours walking along the beach or on the pier in all weathers, enjoying the ever-changing moods of the sea. As my interest in photography has grown, I have tried to capture those moods in my photography.
Having a background in engineering, I often adopt a scientific approach to my photography. Many of my photographs are the result of meticulous research and planning; monitoring weather conditions, checking tide times and heights and often returning to the same location many times until I have captured the desired image.
Some of my photographs have been displayed in exhibitions around the UK:
- Edinburgh International Exhibition - at the Photographic Exhibition Centre during the Edinburgh festival season, August 2022
- Chichester Camera Club: A Celebration of People and Places - at the Novium Museum, Chichester from 24th November 2018 to 10th March 2019
- PAGB Masters of Print Exhibition - at the R K Burt Gallery in London, December 2018
- Edinburgh International Exhibition - at the Photographic Exhibition Centre during the Edinburgh festival season, August 2018
- SPA Biennial Exhibition - at the Guildford House Gallery in Guildford, Surrey, April 2018
- PAGB Masters of Print Exhibition - initially at the R K Burt Gallery in London, December 2017 but now touring various locations around the UK